James 2:19 says "You believe that God is one. You do well; the demons also believe, and shudder."
I've heard that shortly after the term "Christian" was coined, it would be applied to anyone who followed the teachings of Christ in the new peculiar groups meeting in homes and secret places from Jerusalem, Galilee, and Capernaum all the way to the Rome itself. The distinction could be loosely applied to someone who simply was showing interest, and perhaps at times to those who did not truly come to a saving faith yet. Certainly an early distinguishing belief unique to these early saints would be that, unlike the secular belief in the myriads of pagan gods, they believed that there was only one true God. But from this passage, it seems to me to indicate that the author wanted there to be no confusion over the fact that a monotheistic belief system alone was not enough to save.
Indeed it's not enough just to believe. WAIT!!! Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto to him as righteousness, right?
It's with this thought that I am beginning today a series of post about what unbelievers and Christians alike believe. Quite often in recent conversation in my life I've heard people profess that they believe in Jesus, then turn around and proclaim how their goodness is getting them to heaven. It has become evidenced to me through everyday life to back up scriptural teachings that what we do with what we believe is just as important as what we believe. Faith without works is dead.
This statement always draws some passionate discussion, and certainly much deliberation on the interplay between faith and works. Some will pretend that they have mastered the subject, but I have not. I think understanding all the dynamics and applications is still something I'm learning.
I will take some time to go through what I believe to be similar beliefs between Christians and non-Christian alike. In that context I hope to extend the study also to where I believe they disagree by understanding the fine lines between beliefs on a more fundamental level. To truly understand a disagreement, you must know whether your suppositions are common or not. If you want to start an argument about whether a car is red or orange, you have to first know whether you are talking about the same automobile. Sounds simple? One would think.
That word argue sounds like a bad thing. Why start an argument at all? Following the recent Ken Ham vs. Bill Nye creation debate a few of my friends were quick to repost articles and blogs citing its futility. I think they miss the real audience - the believer whose faith is strengthened through ministries such as Ken Ham. What a shame that we are so quick to declare defeat, especially when we are already victorious. It's not the unbeliever we are truly debating; we are being obedient and proclaiming truth. The real battle is in the spiritual realm, and it has already been won.
So to all my brothers and sisters who enjoy dissecting and examining the scriptures - I'm so thankful for you. You probably are well aware that you do what you do out of obedience, and as an act of worship. God bless you - I pray you never cease.
No comments:
Post a Comment